Rob Miller is an associate professor in the MIT EECS department and a member of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. He earned his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University (2002). His doctoral research concerned intelligent interfaces and pattern languages for automated text editing, particularly of structured and semi-structured text. He received B.S. and M.Eng. degrees in EECS from MIT (1995).
His research interests involve user interfaces and programming systems, in various combinations: (1) end-user programming, specifically for the web, to help people change and adapt the web applications they use every day; (2) new UIs and tools for software developers, to make their programming more effective and productive; and (3) human computation and crowd computing, which is about building systems that have people inside them, as integral components alongside traditional software. In the past, he has also done work on usable security and programming by demonstration.
- Michael Bernstein, Robert C. Miller, Greg Little, Mark Ackerman, Bjoern Hartmann, David Karger, David Crowell, and Katrina Panovich. "Soylent: A Word Processor with a Crowd Inside." ACM Conference on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), 2010.
- Greg Little, Lydia B. Chilton, Robert C. Miller, and Max Goldman. "TurKit: Human Computation Algorithms on Mechanical Turk." ACM Conference on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), 2010.
- Chen-Hsiang Yu and Robert C. Miller. "Enhancing Web Page Readability for Non-native Readers." ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), 2010.
- Tsung-Hsiang Chang,Tom Yeh and Robert C. Miller. "GUI Testing Using Computer Vision." ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), 2010.
- Tom Yeh,Tsung-Hsiang Chang and Robert C. Miller. "Sikuli: Using GUI Screenshots for Search and Automation." ACM Conference on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), 2009, pp. 183-192.
- Max Goldman and Robert C. Miller. "Codetrail: Connecting Source Code and Web Resources." Journal of Visual Languages & Computing, v20 n4, 2009, pp. 223-235.
- Michael Bolin, Matthew Webber, Philip Rha, Tom Wilson, and Robert C. Miller. "Automation and Customization of Rendered Web Pages." ACM Conference on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST), 2005, pp 163-172.
- MIT: MacVicar Faculty Fellow (2013)
- MIT EECS: Jamieson teaching prize (2011)
- UIST: Best Paper Award (2010)
- MIT: Louis B. Smullins Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2007)
- UIST: Best Paper Award (2005)
- National Science Foundation: Career Award (2005)
- Association for Computing Machinery: Doctoral Dissertation Award (2002)
- USENIX Annual Technical Conference: Best Student Paper (2000)
- USENIX Annual Technical Conference: Outstanding Paper (1999)
- Phi Beta Kappa: Member (1995)