This week MIT CSAIL announced “METEOR,” MEnTorEd Opportunities in Research, a new postdoctoral fellowship program featuring in-depth opportunities for mentorship from researchers in both CSAIL and industry.
Participants will have the opportunity to attend seminars and receive training on job applications, as well as participate in group activities with their cohort and the larger lab.
Applicants must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- First-generation college students who were the first in their families to graduate from a four-year college or university.
- Member of an ethnic or racial group historically underrepresented in graduate education at MIT (Black/African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian or other Native Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latinx)
- A scholar participating in a fellowship or academic support program vetted by MIT (CSAIL will verify an applicant’s status while pursuing a doctoral degree at a U.S. institution)
- Experiences overcoming significant challenges in their path toward graduate school. Examples include but are not limited to...
- Managing a disability
- Being of a gender or orientation identity historically underrepresented in computer science and artificial intelligence
- Veteran status
- Single parent
- Holding DACA status
- Financial hardship as a result of family economic circumstances
CSAIL director Daniela Rus says that the goal of Meteor is “to enable exceptional individuals to do research in the lab and prepare for careers in academia or industry.” She says that this will be the first year of the multi-year program, which she hopes to grow and broaden beyond CSAIL.
There are at least five positions available, and postdoctoral fellows will have CSAIL PI mentors.
Additional information and application requirements will be made available later this month at https://www.csail.mit.edu/meteor.
Rus says that applications are due by June 15 2021, decisions will be made by mid-July, with the first postdocs starting in September 2021.
The founding sponsors of the METEOR fellowship program include Accenture, Google and JPMorgan Chase.