- Position: Professor
- Office: 32-G940
- Phone: +1 (617) 253-8713
- Email: email@example.com
- Areas of Study: Systems & Networking
- Last Update: September 2, 2012
- Download vCard
Hari Balakrishnan is a Professor of Computer Science at MIT. His research is in networked computer systems. His current interests are in system software, network protocols, and data management for a world of "truly mobile" connected devices. Previous work includes the RON overlay network, the Chord DHT, the Cricket location system, the CarTel mobile sensing system, and cross-layer wireless protocols such as snoop TCP and SoftPHY. He has also contributed to verifiable Internet routing, congestion control, network security and privacy, energy-efficient protocols, stream processing, and data management systems. He is an ACM Fellow (2008), a Sloan Fellow (2002), an ACM dissertation award winner (1998), and has received several best-paper awards including the IEEE Bennett prize (2004) and the ACM SIGCOMM "test of time" award (2011). He has also received a few awards for excellence in teaching and research at MIT: the Harold Edgerton faculty achievement award (2003), and the Jamieson (2012), Junior Bose (2002), and Spira (2001) teaching awards.
In 2003, Balakrishnan co-founded StreamBase Systems, the first high-performance commercial event stream processing (aka complex event processing) engine. Between 2000 and 2003, he helped devise the key algorithms for Sandburst Corporation's (acquired by Broadcom) high-speed network QoS chipset. He is an advisor to Meraki and on the Board of Trustees of IMDEA Networks in Spain.
- H. Balakrishnan, V. N. Padmanabhan, S. Seshan, and R. H. Katz, "A Comparison of Mechanisms for Improving TCP Performance over Wireless Links," IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking, 5(6), December 1997, pp 756-769.
- H. Balakrishnan, Rahul, H.S., Seshan, S. "An Integrated Congestion Management Architecture for Internet Hosts", Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, Cambridge, MA, September 1999.
- N. Priyantha and H. Balakrishnan, "The Cricket Location-Support System," Proc. ACM MOBICOM, Boston, MA, September 2000.
- I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Karger, F. Kaashoek, H. Balakrishnan, Chord: A Peer-to-Peer Lookup Service for Internet Applications, Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, San Diego, CA, September 2001.
- D. Andersen, H. Balakrishnan, M.F. Kaashoek, R. Morris, "Resilient Overlay Networks," Proc. ACM SOSP, Banff, Canada, October 2001.
- N. Feamster and H. Balakrishnan, "Detecting BGP Configuration Faults with Static Analysis," Proc. NSDI, Boston, MA, May 2005.
- A. Miu, E. Koksal, and H. Balakrishnan, "Improving Loss Resilience with Multi-Radio Diversity in Wireless Networks," Proc. MOBICOM, August 2005.
- M. Balazinska, H. Balakrishnan, S. Madden, and M. Stonebraker, "Fault-Tolerance in the Borealis Distributed Stream Processing System," Proc. ACM SIGMOD, Baltimore, MD, June 2005.
- M. Walfish, J. Zamfirescu, H. Balakrishnan, D. Karger, and S. Shenker, Distributed Quota Enforcement for Spam Control, Proc. NSDI, San Jose, CA, May 2006.
- V. Bychkovsky, B. Hull, A. Miu, H. Balakrishnan, and S. Madden, A Measurement Study of Vehicular Internet Access Using In Situ Wi-Fi Networks, Proc. ACM MOBICOM, Los Angeles, CA, September 2006.
- ACM/IEEE: Best Paper (2011)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communications: Test of Time Award (2011)
- Association for Computing Machinery: Fellow (2009)
- Association for Computing Machinery: Best Demo Award, SenSys Conf. (2006)
- Association for Computing Machinery: Best Paper Award| MOBICOM Conf (2006)
- Usenix: NSDI Best Paper (2005)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers: William R. Bennett Prize Paper Award (2004)
- MIT: Edgerton Award (2003)
- USENIX Security: Best Student Paper Award (2002)
- MIT EECS: Junior Bose Teaching Award (2002)
- Sloan Foundation: Research Fellowship (2002)
- MIT EECS: Spira Teaching Award (2001)
- IBM: Faculty Research Award (2000)
- Association for Computing Machinery: Best Paper Award| MOBICOM Conf (2000)
- National Science Foundation: Career Award (1999)
- UC Berkeley: C.V. Ramamoorthy Distinguished Research Award (1998)
- Association for Computing Machinery: Doctoral Dissertation Award (1998)
- Association for Computing Machinery: Best Paper Award| MOBICOM Conf (1995)
- USENIX Annual Technical Conference: Best Student Paper (1995)