Michael Stonebraker has been a pioneer of data base research and technology for more than a quarter of a century. He was the main architect of the INGRES relational DBMS, the object-relational DBMS, POSTGRES, and the federated data system, Mariposa. All three prototypes were developed at the University of California at Berkeley where Stonebraker was a Professor of Computer Science for twenty five years. He is the founder of three successful Silicon Valley startups, whose objective was to commercialize these prototypes.
Professor Stonebraker is the author of scores of research papers on data base technology, operating systems and the architecture of system software services. He was awarded the prestigious ACM System Software Award in 1992, for his work on INGRES. Additionally, he was awarded the first annual Innovation award by the ACM SIGMOD special interest group in 1994, and has been recognized by Computer Reseller News as one of the top five software developers of the century. Moreover, Forbes magazine named him one of the 8 innovators driving the Silicon Valley wealth explosion during their 80th anniversary edition in 1998. He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1998 and is presently an Adjunct Professor of Computer Science at M.I.T.
- Stan Zdonik, Michael Stonebraker, Mitch Cherniack, Ugur Cetintemal, â€œAurora*: A Distributed Stream Processing Systemâ€, to be submitted to CIDR 2003.
- Don Carney, Ugur Cetintemel, Mitch Cherniack, Christian Convey, Sangdon Lee, Michael Stonebraker, Nesime Tatbul, Stan Zdonik, â€œMonitoring Streams: A New Class of Data Management Applications,â€ VLDB 2002 (expanded version will appear in the VLDB Journal).
- Michael Stonebraker, â€œToo Much Middleware,â€ SIGMOD Record, March 2001.
- Chris Olston, Allison Woodruff, Alexander Aiken, Michael Chu, Vuk Ercegovac, Mark Lin, Mybrid Spalding, Michael Stonebraker, â€œDataSplash,â€ SIGMOD 1998, p550-552.
- Allison Woodruff, Michael Stonebraker, â€œSupporting Fine-grained Data Lineage in a Database Visualization Environment,â€ ICDE 1997, p91-102.
- Alexander Aiken, Jolly Chen, Michael Stonebraker, Allison Woodruff, â€œTioga-2: A Direct Manipulation Database Visualization Environment,â€ ICDE 1996, p208-217.
- Michael Stonebraker, Paul M. Aoki, Witold Litwin, Avi Pfeffer, Adam Sah, Jeff Sidell, Carl Staelin, Andrew Yu, â€œMariposa: A Wide-Area Distributed Database System,â€ VLDB Journal 5(1), p48-63 (1996).
- Michael Stonebraker, Paul M. Aoki, Robert Devine, Witold Litwin, Michael A. Olson, â€œMariposa: A New Architecture for Distributed Data,â€ ICDE 1994, p54-65.
- Michael Stonebraker, Jolly Chen, Nobuko Nathan, Caroline Paxson, Jiang Wu, â€œTioga: Providing Data Management Support for Scientific Visualization Applications,â€ VLDB 1993, p25-38.
- Michael Stonebraker, â€œThe Integration of Rule Systems and Database Systems,â€ TKDE 4(5), p415-423 (1992).
- Abraham Silberschatz, Michael Stonebraker, Jeffrey D. Ullman, â€œDatabase Systems: Achievements and Opportunities,â€ CACM 34(10), p110-120 (1991).
- Michael Stonebraker, Greg Kemnitz, â€œThe Postgres Next Generation Database Management System,â€ CACM 34(10), p78-92 (1991).
- Michael Stonebraker, Gerhard A. Schloss, â€œDistributed RAID - A New Multiple Copy Algorithm,â€ ICDE 1990, p430-437.
- Michael Stonebraker, Anant Jhingran, Jeffrey Goh, Spyros Potamianos, â€œOn Rules, Procedures, Caching and Views in Data Base Systems,â€ SIGMOD 1990, p281-290.
- Margo I. Seltzer, Michael Stonebraker, â€œTransaction Support in Read Optimizied and Write Optimized File Systems,â€ VLDB 1990, p174-185.
- Michael Stonebraker, Randy H. Katz, David A. Patterson, John K. Ousterhout, â€œThe Design of XPRS,â€ VLDB 1988, p318-330.
- Michael Stonebraker, Eric N. Hanson, Chin-Heng Hong, â€œThe Design of the Postgres Rules System,â€ ICDE 1987, p365-374.
- Michael Stonebraker, â€œThe Design of the POSTGRES Storage System,â€ VLDB 1987, p289-300.
- Lawrence A. Rowe, Michael Stonebraker, â€œThe POSTGRES Data Model,â€ VLDB 1987, p83-96.
- Michael Stonebraker, â€œInclusion of New Types in Relational Data Base Systems,â€ ICDE 1986, p262-269.
- Michael Stonebraker, Lawrence A. Rowe, â€œThe Design of Postgres,â€ SIGMOD 1986, p340-355.
- Michael Stonebraker, â€œOperating System Support for Database Management,â€ CACM 24(7), p412-418 (1981).
- Robert S. Epstein, Michael Stonebraker, â€œAnalysis of Distributed Data Base Processing Strategies,â€ VLDB 1980, p92-101.
- Michael Stonebraker, â€œRetrospection on a Database System,â€ TODS 5(2), p225-240 (1980).
- Daniel R. Ries, Michael Stonebraker, â€œEffects of Locking Granularity in a Database Management System,â€ TODS 2(3), p233-246 (1977).
- Michael Stonebraker, Eugene Wong, Peter Kreps, Gerald Held, â€œThe Design and Implementation of INGRES,â€ TODS 1(3), p189-222 (1976).
- Stonebraker, M. and Hellerstein J., â€œReadings in Database Systems,â€ Morgan-Kaufman Publishers, San Francisco, Ca., 1998
- Stonebraker, M. et. al., â€œObject-Relational DBMSs: The Next Great Wave,â€ Morgan-Kaufman Publishers, San Francisco, Ca., 1996.
- Michael Brodie, Michael Stonebraker â€œIncremental Migration of Legacy Systems,â€ Morgan-Kaufman Publishers, San Francisco, Ca., 1995.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers: John von Neumann Medal (2005)
- National Academy of Engineering: Member (1998)
- Forbes Magazine: One of 8 innovators driving the Silicon Valley wealth explosion (1998)
- Computer Reseller News: Hall of Fame Member (1998)
- Association for Computing Machinery: SIGMOD Innovation Award (1992)
- Association for Computing Machinery: Software System Award (1988)